How do I use the Scheduling Assistant?
1. Create a new appointment or meeting request, and then click the Scheduling Assistant tab.
2. Under Select Attendees, type the names or aliases of the people you want to attend your
meeting. The names you enter will be automatically resolved, if possible. If a unique match
can't be found for a name, the name is underlined. Right-click the name to view a list of possible
matches. Click the name that matches to add it to the list of attendees. You can also click Select
Attendees to open the Address Book window.
3. To set an attendee as Required required, Optional optional, or Resource resource, click the icon
next to the name. Every time you click the icon, it changes to the next setting. The meeting
organizer meeting organizer can't be changed.
4. The availability chart automatically displays all your attendees' schedules on the day of your meeting
with the time of your meeting highlighted. A blue bar in the schedule window next to a name means
that person is busy at that time.
5. To change the meeting date, click the Start or End box, and then select a new meeting date.
6. To move the meeting time, click the center of the highlighted bar that represents the meeting time,
and then drag the meeting to a different time.
7. After you verify availability, click the Appointment tab to finish filling out your meeting request.
What else do I need to know?
Next to the availability chart is a summary of attendee availability. The summary offers
a list of possible meeting times in addition to how many of the selected attendees and
resources are available at each time. To see the details of a specific time, click the time
in the Suggested Times list. To see possible times on other days, click the calendar in
the Suggested Times pane. Clicking a time in the Suggested Times list automatically
changes the meeting to that time.
You can use the Scheduling Assistant toolbar to change the date, start time and end time
of the meeting. You can use the Suggested Times window to change the date and duration
of your meeting and to select a suggested time.
The Scheduling Assistant has an option on its toolbar to show only working hours. If this is
selected and one or more attendees don't have working hours that overlap with the other
attendees, the Scheduling Assistant will show it couldn't find any available times for the
meeting. This frequently happens for meetings that include attendees in multiple time zones.
You can turn off Show only working hours to see possible meeting times.
Notice the lock on the calendar entry for a private meeting.