Career Connections

Text Alert

Get Connected

Academic Information


Eagle Monument


Eligibility for Admission

Individuals seeking regular full admission to a graduate program must meet the minimum admission requirements for the Graduate Programs and any additional requirements of the program. To meet the minimum requirements for admission to the Graduate Programs an applicant must provide evidence of:

  • A bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an acceptably accredited college or university. Individuals who have not yet completed the baccalaureate degree may submit transcripts for course work completed, along with application materials. Final transcripts noting the completion of the degree will be required.

  • A minimum quality-point average (QPA) of 2.75/4.00 at the undergraduate level. Some programs require a higher undergraduate QPA. Please review the program admission requirements listed elsewhere in this catalog.


Individuals not meeting the QPA requirement of a graduate program may be eligible for regular admission when the lower QPA is evaluated in terms of supplementary factors, including recommendations/references, examination scores on such instruments as the Graduate Record Examination, Graduate Management Admission Test, and/or the Miller Analogies Test, or achievement in graduate-level course work.

Information regarding the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), and the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) may be obtained from the Graduate Programs office. Applicants should refer to the admission requirements of specific programs as listed in this bulletin.


Categories of Admission

Admitted applicants will be classified in one of the following categories of admission.


Regular Full Admission
Individuals meeting all of the admission requirements for a graduate program shall be granted regular full-admission status. Only individuals with regular full-admission status are eligible for graduate assistantships. Individuals must achieve regular full-admission status before they graduate. A student may apply and be admitted to a graduate program during his/her last year of undergraduate study. This admission, however, is contingent upon the student providing the Graduate Studies office an official final undergraduate transcript that indicates the baccalaureate degree has been awarded.

Provisional Admission
Individuals not meeting all of the admission requirements for a graduate program may be admitted on a provisional basis. In such cases, admission will be based upon specific conditions that the student must meet in order to be reclassified as regular full admission. Individuals admitted on a provisional basis are not eligible for graduate assistantships. Individuals admitted on a provisional basis are not guaranteed regular full-admission status.

Conditional Admission

A conditional admission is provided to students, particularly international students, to enable them to apply for scholarships.  It does not permit the student to enroll in classes or obtain a visa.  It requires specific additional information providing proof of meeting all admissions requirements to be converted to a provisional or regular admission. Conditionally admitted students may be rejected upon review of their completed application.

Courtesy/Transient Admission
A graduate student from another institution may enroll for graduate courses at Clarion University on a courtesy basis if he or she intends to transfer the credit for the course to another institution. Information about courtesy admission may be obtained from Graduate Programs.

Non-Degree Status Admission
Occasionally individuals will want to engage in graduate study without formally entering a graduate program. Such individuals should apply for a non-degree admission status at the time of application. All admission requirements must be met. Individuals remaining in this status may not receive a graduate degree. Courses taken while a person is in this status will be identified as non-degree on the student's transcript. The non-degree student who, after taking courses in non-degree status determines to seek a graduate degree, must be formally admitted to a graduate degree program under regular admission procedures. Graduate programs may or may not accept courses taken while a student is in non-degree status. No program may accept more than nine credits taken in non-degree status. Applicants admitted on a non-degree basis are not guaranteed regular full-admission status. Certain course restrictions may apply for non-degree students.


Admission Procedures

Application forms and information about graduate programs may be obtained by writing to:

Graduate Programs
Clarion University of PA
131 Harvey Hall
840 Wood Street, Clarion, PA 16214-1232

Routine admission policy requires that all graduate applicants submit:

  1. a completed application form;

  2. an official transcript from each college or university attended as an undergraduate or graduate student (regardless of whether or not a degree was earned). Official transcripts are issued from colleges/universities in sealed envelopes with the seal of the university and the signature of the registrar on the outside of the envelopes. The transcripts must be sealed by the registrar and remain sealed until their arrival in the Graduate Programs Office. Partial transcripts are acceptable, but evidence of a degree must be submitted before a student may enroll in classes;

  3. at least three current faculty and/or professional recommendations on the Clarion University recommendation forms;*

  4. a $50 non-refundable application fee (hard copy); $40 non-refundable application fee (online) and

  5. a resume.

Some graduate programs require additional information or procedures.
*May not be required of non-degree students.


All documents become the property of Clarion University and will not be returned or duplicated for any purpose outside the university. Each application must be for one program only. An additional complete application packet including the $30 fee must be submitted if you are applying to more than one program. Following one semester of enrollment, if you want to change to another graduate program you must resubmit all application materials (including $30 fee) as previously outlined. Applications will be reviewed only after all materials have been received.


Admission Application Deadlines for Regular, Provisional,
Transient, and Non-Degree Admissions

The following deadlines apply to graduate applicants.*

Nursing applicants:

Early Admission Deadline-Oct. 1
Regular Admission Deadline-March 1
RN-MSN Deadline-April 1


Speech Language Pathology applicants:

Jan. 31-last date to complete an application file for upcoming academic year.


Other programs:

Fall: Aug. 1-last date to complete an application file
Spring: Dec. 1-last date to complete an application file
Summer: May 1-last date to complete an application file for Summer I; June 1 last date to complete an application for Summer II


*International students must complete an application file at least four months before the term applicant wishes to begin study. See section below on "Admission of International Students."


Admission of International Students

Clarion University is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students. The university welcomes international students to its campus and has an Office of International Programs to assist students from other countries in achieving a successful educational experience at Clarion. International students may write to:

Office of International Programs
Clarion University of Pennsylvania
840 Wood Street
Clarion, PA 16214-1232 U.S.A.

International students seeking admission to graduate study at Clarion University should follow directions specified for all students under each program's "Admission Requirements" and "Degree Requirements" sections. In addition, the international student applicant must satisfy the following requirements:


1. Submit his or her application for admission by the specified deadline dates in which he or she wishes to begin study at Clarion.


2. International applicants must provide evidence of a bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an acceptably accredited college or university.International applicants must have their complete academic records (transcripts, mark sheets, certificates) evaluated by one of the following professional credential evaluating services:

World Education Services (WES) (
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) (

Applicants should request WES or ECE to forward the evaluation results directly to the Clarion University Graduate Programs Office.


3. A minimum QPA of 2.75/4.00 scale at the undergraduate level. Some programs require a higher undergraduate quality-point average. Please review the program admission requirements listed on the "Checklist for Completion of Graduate Application." Individuals not meeting the quality-point average requirement of a graduate program may be eligible for regular admission when the lower QPA is evaluated in terms of supplementary factors, including recommendations, examination scores on such instruments as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), and/or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), or achievement in graduate-level course work. Information regarding the GRE, GMAT, or MAT may be obtained from the Graduate Programs.


4. According to U.S. immigration regulations, no more than the equivalent of one on-line/distance education class or three credits per session may count toward the “full course of study” requirement.


5. Furnish evidence of adequate financial support on the Financial Support Statement form. The applicant must provide an official statement from an authorized bank certifying that sufficient funds are available to the student to cover costs of university fees and general living expenses for one academic year of study in the United States. Immigration form I-20 will not be issued until the international applicant has submitted the required evidence of financial support.


6. Carry a full program of studies (at least nine semester hours) upon admission and matriculation. The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations require students holding an "F" or "J" visa to carry a full program of study. According to U. S. immigration regulations, no more than the equivalent of one on-line/distance education class or three credits per session may count toward the “full course of study” requirement.


7. Be covered by adequate health insurance. Due to the high cost of health care in the United States, all international students are required to carry comprehensive medical insurance. For further information on insurance, see section entitled "Student Health Insurance".


Academic Policies and Procedures

Academic Honesty Policy

Students at Clarion University shall maintain a high standard of honesty in scholastic work. As members of the university community, students have a responsibility to be familiar with the conduct regulations found in the university catalogs, Residence Hall Handbook; Student Rights, Regulations, and Procedures Online Handbook, and other university documents. Among the conduct regulations addressed are acts of academic dishonesty, including plagiarism or cheating on assignments, examinations, or other academic work, or without prior approval of the instructor, submitting work already done for another course.


Students shall avoid all forms of academic dishonesty, including but not limited to:

  1. Plagiarism-
    the use of another's words without attribution and without enclosing the words in quotation marks. Plagiarism may also be defined as the act of taking the ideas or expression of ideas of another person and representing them as one's own-even if the original paper has been paraphrased or otherwise modified. A close or extended paraphrase may also be considered plagiarism even if the source is named.

  2. Collusion-
    when specifically prohibited in advance by the instructor, collaborating with another person in the preparation of notes, themes, reports, or other written work offered for credit.

  3. Cheating on an examination or quiz-
    giving or receiving information or using prepared material on an examination or quiz.

  4. Falsification of data-
    manufacturing data, falsification of information, including providing false or misleading information, or selective use of data to support a particular conclusion or to avoid conducting actual research.

Any member of the academic community may bring complaints of academic dishonesty against a student. Sanctions for academic dishonesty can range from a failing grade on a particular assignment or examination to dismissal from the university based on the seriousness of the action and whether it is part of a pattern of academic dishonesty. Instructors imposing a lowered or failing grade on an assignment or course because of a charge of academic dishonesty must inform the student. Students have the right to appeal instructor decisions (Student Rights, Regulations, and Procedures Online Handbook) either through the grade-appeal process (see section on "Student Rights in the Classroom") or directly to the Conduct Board (see section on "Adjudication Appeals") depending on the nature of the dispute. Sanctions extending beyond a particular course, such as suspension or dismissal from an academic program or from the university, can only be imposed as the result of complaints filed under the Disciplinary Procedures Code and after Formal Hearings under this code.



Academic Standing

All graduate students are expected to remain in good
academic standing by maintaining a cumulative QPA of
3.0 on a 4.0 scale and earning no more than six semester
hours of “C” or lower grades in graduate courses.
Individual graduate programs may set higher standards
for “good” academic standings.
Students who earn more than six semester hours of
grades of “C” or below or do not maintain a cumulative
QPA of 3.0 are placed on probation. A student placed
on probation automatically loses his or her graduate
assistanceship. A reapplication for an assistantship will be
required once she or he has returned to “good” academic
A student placed on probation must return to “good”
academic standing through grades earned in course work
during the next semester or summer session in which he or
she enrolls. Failure to earn grades sufficient to be removed
from probation will result in the student being dismissed
from the graduate program in which she or he is enrolled.

Removal from probation due to more than 6 hours
of grades of “C” or below:
The student could repeat coursework in which the
original grade is “C” or below, a repeat course grade
will replace the original grade for quality-point
calculations. A maximum of six semester hours of
credit may be repeated. Please note the following
program specific policies:
• Library Science students receiving a grade of “C” or
below in two courses are dismissed as a candidate.
• CSD students who are on probation must come up
with a remediation plan to remove themselves from
probation. This plan will come to the department
through the student’s faculty advisor and must be
• MBA Program excludes grades earned in foundation
courses for the purpose of this policy.
Removal from probation due to QPA below 3.0:
The student should take additional graduate level
courses in his/her program and earn grades sufficient
to raise the cumulative QPA to 3.0 or above.
Students who do not meet the conditions for removal of
probation will be dismissed from their graduate program.
After one semester of non-enrollment, the student may
reapply to the program. If reaccepted, all conditions
of probation apply and must be addressed in their first
semester back.
Students on probation status or who have been
dismissed in one program may apply to another graduate
study program for consideration for regular full or
provisional admission.
Approved Graduate Council May 2013




Transfer of Credit

Some graduate programs allow students to transfer credit for graduate courses taken at other regionally-accredited institutions for coursework of higher academic caliber in accepted fields of study. It is university policy that no more than 30 percent of the total credits for a degree may be transfer credits. The course(s) taken must be recognized in content and quality as similar to Clarion University's approved academic credit. The credits must be capable of counting toward a graduate degree at the sponsoring institution. Course credit will not be transferred until the course has been evaluated and approved. A student enrolled in a degree program at Clarion who wishes to take a course at another institution for transfer to Clarion should obtain prior approval from his/her academic advisor, department chair, and the college and graduate deans (see transfer credit form for approval process). The student is required to furnish a complete description of the intended transfer course(s) usually through a catalog description and the syllabus of the course(s) for which he/she is requesting transfer credit.

Courses transferred must be certified as graduate level on the official transcript and must have a grade of B or better. Transfer credit course grades are not computed in the Clarion QPA and all transfer credits will be calculated in semester hours. The proposed transfer credit must not be more than six years old at the time of completion of the degree program at Clarion University. Courses already credited toward an earned degree may not be used for a second degree.

The following types of courses are not accepted for transfer credit: correspondence course credit, pass/fail grades, and workshop courses. Graduate Transfer Credit Request forms are available in the Graduate Studies office.




Seventy percent of all credits required for completion of a graduate degree must be earned in course work offered by Clarion University. All graduate-degree programs require a minimum of 30 semester hours of credit. Individual programs may require more than 30 semester hours.



Timeliness of Enrollment and Completion of Degree

It is expected that an applicant admitted to graduate study will enroll for course work at once. Students who do not enroll at Clarion for graduate courses in programs to which they are admitted within 12 months following admission will be required to reapply before they can enroll. Information about eligibility to enroll in classes may be obtained from the Graduate Programs office.

A degree must be completed within six years from the date of initial enrollment. Extensions may be allowed only by approval of the department chair, dean of the college in which the student's program resides, and the dean of Graduate Programs.



Full-Time Status

A graduate student enrolled in nine semester hours of course work in a term is considered a full-time student.



Graduate Credit Load

The policy regarding credit load for graduate students is to limit students to a maximum of 12 graduate credit hours per semester. Students who wish to enroll for more than 12 graduate credit hours must have the approval of the graduate program coordinator, the college dean, and dean of graduate programs.



400-Level Courses

Not all 400-level courses can be taken for graduate credit. Students should consult with graduate program coordinators or the Graduate Programs office to determine 400-level courses that have been approved for graduate credit. These approved 400-level courses are listed each semester in the Graduate section of the published Schedule of Classes. Note: courses taken at the 400-level for undergraduate credit cannot be repeated for graduate credit. The maximum number of 400-level courses accepted toward degree requirements varies among the graduate programs. See specific program descriptions and requirements.




All class withdrawals must be made through the Office of the Registrar, 122 Carrier Administration Building. Classes from which a student withdraws during the period of drop/add will not appear on the student's record. Withdrawals between the end of the second and ninth weeks may be made without penalty. After the beginning of the 10th week of a semester or the second half of a summer session, a course from which a student withdraws shall be finally reported with a grade of "E." Exceptions may be made for withdrawals due to extenuating circumstances such as illness or some other unavoidable occurrence.

If a student is on probation at the time of withdrawal from all classes and the withdrawal is after the 12th week of the semester, the student will not be permitted to return for the following semester unless the withdrawal is based on extenuating circumstances.

If a withdrawal is not made through the Office of the Registrar, a failing grade will be recorded for the affected course(s).

Any student who withdraws from the university either during or at the end of a semester must notify the Office of the Registrar of his or her intention to withdraw and the reason for withdrawal. This is necessary for completion of the student's permanent record. Failure to comply with this regulation will constitute an unofficial withdrawal and may affect the student's chances of future readmission or his or her obtaining an honorable dismissal.

Please see section on "Refund Policies," for financial implications of withdrawal.



Grading System

A = excellent
B = good
C = satisfactory
D = poor
E = failure
IP = in progress
I = incomplete work
P = passing
W = withdrawal from a course
WX = withdrawal from the university
Z = grade not submitted (Temporary)
AU = audit


Auditing Courses
With the permission of the instructor, interested students may audit courses if there is space available in the course from the first day of class and up until the end of the drop/add period. Students must declare their intentions in writing to the Office of the Registrar before the end of the drop/add period. Laboratory courses may not be taken as an audit. Students who enroll in a course for credit may change to an audit grade only during the drop/add period. Likewise, students who enroll in a course to audit may only change to credit during this same period.

Courses taken as an audit will be recorded on the official transcript with a grade of "AU"; no credit or letter grade will be received. Graduate-level courses taken as an "audit" cannot be counted as credits in a degree program and cannot be repeated later for credit or a letter grade.


Incomplete Grades
The "I" grade may be used when a student has completed the major portion of the requirements for a given course, but for reasons beyond expected control, such as illness or family emergency, cannot complete all requirements. Normally, incomplete grades must be removed by the end of the first semester subsequent to the awarding of the incomplete. Extensions may be granted if the instructor awarding the incomplete deems that more time is necessary to fulfill course requirements. Research and thesis incomplete grades normally continue beyond one semester.

An incomplete that is not converted to a final grade by the end of the semester following its issuance and is not approved for extension by the instructor becomes a failing grade.

No one may be cleared for graduation with "I" grades on record.


In Progress Grades
The grade "IP" is given for thesis work and/or courses at the graduate level that might take more than a semester for completion. The grade "IP" is given only when the work in a course extends beyond the semester or term originally scheduled. It implies satisfactory performance. The grade "IP" will not alter the QPA of the student since hours attempted, hours earned, and quality points earned will be entered in cumulative totals once the final grade is submitted. The "IP" grade shall remain on the student's transcript until the instructor submits a grade.




Upon admission to a graduate program, a student is assigned an advisor. The advisor will assist the student in planning an individual program and in maintaining progress within the program.



Research, Theses, and Comprehensive Examinations

The individual graduate programs within the university establish research, theses, and/or comprehensive examination requirements. The student should refer to the section of this catalog presenting specific programs to determine exact requirements.



Student Responsibility for Academic Requirements

Provisions in the Clarion Graduate Catalog cannot be considered an irrevocable contract between the university and the student.

The university makes every effort to keep information in the catalog current. It must reserve the right, however, to amend any academic, administrative, or disciplinary policies or regulations and to update fees or service charges described in this catalog without prior notice to persons affected.

Students are held responsible for reading and understanding the academic, administrative, and disciplinary policies or regulations and for understanding the general education requirements as published in the catalog when they matriculate. They are held responsible for the requirements of a major in effect at the time they officially declare a major. If students change majors, they are responsible for the requirements of the major in effect when they officially change majors.

Requirements for graduation as well as those for various curricula and degree programs may change after students matriculate at Clarion. Such changes will not be retroactive, although students will have the option to elect to meet the new program requirements, if desired. Exceptions may be necessary when changes in professional certification or licensure standards mandate such changes in requirements or programs.



Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 have provided the framework for those individuals with disabilities to not be discriminated against. Clarion University, which is a federally funded institution, must provide for nondiscrimination under its federal grants and programs. Thus, "no otherwise qualified individual with a disability in the United States... shall, solely by reason of her or his disability be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance..." (29 U.S.C. § 794(a), see also 29 U.S.C. § 706(8), see also 42 U.S.C. §§ 12132, 10102, 12114). An "individual with a disability" has been defined, with certain exceptions, as "any person who (i) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person's major life activities, (ii) has a record of such an impairment, or (iii) is regarded as having such an impairment. (See 42 U.S.C. § 12101 et. seq. And 29 U.S.C. § 701 et. seq.)

The applications of these laws at Clarion University ensures that:

  1. no qualified individual with a disability may be excluded solely by such disability from any course, or courses of study;*

  2. classes will be rescheduled for those students with mobility impairments if they are scheduled for inaccessible class¬rooms;*

  3. academic degree or course requirements may be modified in certain instances to ensure full participation by students with disabilities;*

  4. alternate methods of testing and evaluation are available in all courses offered by the university for students with documented requirements for such methods;*

  5. auxiliary aids are made available by the university for students with impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills;*

  6. certain campus rules and regulations may be waived if they limit the participation of students with disabilities;* and

  7. housing opportunities, employment opportunities, and other opportunities for students with disabilities are equal to those of students without disabilities.*

*Note: The university is only legally obligated to provide academic adjustments to a qualified individual with a disability who has made his or her need known and when it has received the appropriate documentation of such disability to support the adjustment. Thus, students must provide the university with the necessary medical and diagnostic information to support their requests, including specifying what academic adjustments are needed.


The Office of Disability Support Services (DSS) functions as the university's primary vehicle for assisting students with physical and/or learning disabilities. Students must initiate the process of receiving accommodations by contacting the coordinator of Disability Support Services, located in 102 Ralston Hall. Also, as part of the university's registration process, students are provided with a confidential questionnaire that enables them to notify the university of possible accommodations and services that are related to a disabling condition. Students should return these forms to the office of the Registrar. In addition, students must contact the DSS office to submit proper documentation and discuss requested accommodations. Students should contact the DSS office far enough in advance to allow sufficient time to coordinate accommodations.

Information on services for students with disabilities may be obtained by contacting the Coordinator of Disability Support Services, 102 Ralston Hall, 814-393-2095.

Inquiries regarding services and facilities accessibility may also be obtained by contacting the Assistant to the President for Social Equity, 207 Carrier Hall, 814-393-2109.



Center for Academic Achievement

The Center for Academic Achievement is available to students with disabilities who desire additional help in the form of academic advising, informational workshops, and assistance with study skills. Students interested in obtaining information about the program should contact the Center for Academic Achievement, 104 Ralston Hall, 814-393-2347.