The Conference put its best face forward with closing of Carrier Seminary
The reports of the conference visitors were replete with statements of the following nature. "The Carrier Seminary ... has nobly vindicated its claim to a place among the Seminaries of the Conference." "No pains have been spared ... to make this a pleasant home for those who desire to obtain an education." "The buildings and grounds are both elegant and beautiful, and with the careful supervision that the cause of education demands for the Institute, its future will be a power for good." "The buildings are large, elegant and commodious...." "The school has done good work during the past year." As has been illustrated evidence of verbal support was plenteous, but words are not the balm of financial life. Careful examination of the Conference minutes for the years from 1867 to 1886 revealed only meager financial support had been tendered the seminary. In this entire 20-year period, less than $500 was given to support the institution. In 1883 Carrier received the paltry sum of $16.41 in financial aid.
Although Carrier Seminary as an institution of higher learning no longer existed, the name and corporation lingered for many years. As a result of the sale, all financial obligations and encumbrances were canceled and a balance of $3,500 remained. This was eventually turned over to the Clarion District by the conference, and the Carrier Seminary was operated as an annual summer school similar to the Chautauqua Summer School. This school, operating on the Clarion assembly grounds, was in existence as late as 1906. A former Carrier principal, Rev. Levi Beers, served at least one summer as principal of the institution. Though non-existent as a school, the Carrier Seminary Corporation continued providing assistance to students attending Methodist educational institutions until at least 1940.