Career Connections

Text Alert

Get Connected


Registrar's Office - FAQ's

Academic Advisement (MyClarion Degree Audit)

Change of Status (Major, minor, etc.)






Change of Status


Q: What do I need to do to change my major?

A: Students should complete a Change of Status Form (which can be printed from the website or picked up in departmental offices on campus), then submit the form to their department. Students requesting to add a minor should submit the form to the department of the new minor. The department will assign new advisors and forward the change of status form onto the registrar's office to be processed.

 Q: Do I need to complete separate forms for a minor and a major?

A: For each departmental change you must submit a separate form.   If you are unsure of where to turn in the form, please check the academic department page. For example, if you are changing your major to education and adding a psychology minor, then you should fill out two forms. If you are a political science major and adding a minor in sociology, the change can be done on one form because it is within the same department. After completing the form, turn it in to the Department of the new major or minor. The Department will then assign you a new advisor.

 Q: Where can I find help on how to fill out the Change of Status form?

A: Your advisor or the department secretary/department chair can help you fill out the form properly.

 Q: When I change my major, does my advisor also change?

A: Yes, the department will assign you a new advisor according to your new major or minor.  You can find the name of your new advisor by accessing your MyClarion account.

 Q: If I need to change only my advisor should I still fill out the Change of Status form?

A: Yes, there is a box on the form to check "change advisor only."  Complete the form and turn it in to the department of the change for a new advisor assignment.

 Q: Do I need to get my Change of Status form signed by anyone?

A: No, the student signs the form and submits it to their department.

 Q: How do I know if the classes I have already taken will fill in the requirements for my new major?

A: Sign into your iClarion portal account and Web for Students. On the blue navigation bar, select Degree Audit, then select the Modeling button to model the new major requirements. If you need help, you should see your advisor.

Return to top




Q: What is FERPA?

A: FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, also known as the Buckley Amendment. FERPA restricts the student information that we may give out to any individual. Only directory information can be released without the student's written consent.

 Q.  What are my rights as a student under FERPA? 


  1. The right to inspect and review your education records.
  2. The right to request an amendment to your education records.
  3. The right to have some control over the disclosure of information from your records.
  4. To file a compliant with the US Department of Education if you feel your rights have been violated.

 Q.  What are education records?

A.  Education records are all records that contain information that is directly related to a student and that are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting on its behalf. A record means any information recorded in any way, including but not limited to handwriting, print, tape, film, microfilm, microfiche, and digital image that are in the possession of any school official.

      Education records do not include the following:

  1.  Sole possession records (those records kept in the sole possession of the maker which are used only as a personal memory aid and are not accessible or  reviewed by any other person except a temporary substitute for the maker of the record)
  2. Medical or psychological treatment records that include but are not limited to records maintained by physicians, psychiatrists and psychologists
  3. Employment records, provided that employment is not contingent upon being a student
  4. Law enforcement or campus security records that are solely for law enforcement purposes and maintained solely by the law enforcement unit
  5. Records collected about an individual after the individual is no longer a student (i.e. alumni records)

 Q: What information has Clarion defined as directory information?

A: Student's name, age, local and permanent addresses and telephone numbers, University email address, major field of study, dates of attendance, enrollment status, (e.g., undergraduate or graduate; full-time or part-time) participation in officially recognized activities and sports, any degrees and the date they were conferred, any honors and awards received, and the most recent educational agency or institution attended.

 Q: How do I prevent my directory information from being released?

A: You need to notify the Office of the Registrar in writing before the end of the first week of each semester.  For full details, click here.

 Q: How do I give my parents access to non-directory information?

A: You need to complete the Release of Information. This form allows you to give access to one or more specific people. The designated person(s) will then be able to request information in the same fashion a student can, either in person with a picture ID or via written request with a valid signature. Please bring in, mail or fax completed release forms to the Office of the Registrar.

 Q: Do faculty members have a right to inspect education records of any student without giving a reason?

A: No. The faculty member must demonstrate a legitimate educational interest in their request to access student records.

 Q: Can an instructor post grades or exam results in a public place using my name, social security number or my Clarion ID?

A: It is permissible for faculty to post grades provided no personally identifiable information is used to associate grades with specific students.  Students can be assigned a random number at the beginning of the course to use throughout the semester.  Grades can be posted using this number as long as the numbers are kept confidential, between the student and instructor, and posted in a random order.  Grades cannot be posted in alphabetical order and the random number should not include any portion of a student's social security number or Clarion ID. 

 Return to top



Q: When should I apply for graduation?

A: You should apply for graduation the semester before you plan to graduate. You should meet with your advisor to go over your remaining graduation requirements and make sure you are registered for everything you need the following semester.

Q: How do I apply for graduation?

A: The Application for Graduation is available by clicking here.  The graduation fee is assessed on student bills based on reaching a specific cumulative credit hour depending on your program.  You should make an appointment with your advisor to go over your degree audit. Your advisor, department chair and dean will need to sign your application for graduation.

Q: Do I have to apply for graduation?

A: Yes. You will not receive your degree unless you apply for graduation and meet all of the requirements of your program.

Q: If I have a course(s) to complete in the summer, can I still graduate in May?

A: You will not be certified for graduation until you complete all of your course requirements. However, as long as you will be completing all of your remaining requirements in the summer, you may still participate in the graduation ceremony. You will need to have an approved application for graduation in the Registrar's Office.

Q: Where do I get my cap, gown and announcements?

A: You may purchase your graduation attire at the Clarion University Store in the Gemmell Student Center or by calling 814-393-2696. Venango College students can pick up their graduation attire at the Venango Campus Book Store or by calling 814-676-6591.

Q: Can I get extra graduation tickets?

A: Due to the number of graduates and the limited seating in Tippin Gym, requests for extra tickets cannot be accommodated.

Q: When will I receive my diploma?

A: Diplomas are sent to the address designated on the graduation application approximately four weeks after the graduation ceremony.

Q: How do I get a duplicate copy of my diploma?

A: You will need to send a request in writing along with a $15 fee made payable to Clarion University of Pennsylvania. Your request should include your name as you would like it to appear on your diploma, social security number, complete mailing address, date of graduation, daytime phone and your signature. Mail your request to Office of the Registrar, 840 Wood Street, Clarion, PA 16214.

Return to top



Q: How do I know the date and time that I will schedule?

A: You can find your registration date and time by signing into your MyClarion account and accessing your Student Center.  The date and time will be located in the right hand column in the Enrollment Dates area a couple weeks prior to registration.  Click details to find your specific enrollment time.  

Q: The class I’m trying to schedule is closed, what can I do?

A: You will need to contact the department of the class for permission to enter the closed section. If the department gives you permission to enter the closed class, they will provide you with a ‘”CLOSED SECTION FORM”. This form needs to be completed and signed by the Department Chair of the department offering the course. The form can be processed by the department or submitted to the registrar’s office on the date it was approved.

Q: Who can help me decide what classes I should schedule?

A: Your advisor should be able to guide you and make suggestions regarding your schedule using your current degree audit. (See also University Advising Services Center)

Q: My major is undecided, how do I declare a major before I schedule classes?

A: Students should complete a Change of Status form (which can be printed from the website or picked up in departmental offices on campus), then submit the form to the department of the new major. Students requesting to add a minor should submit the form to the department of the minor.

Q: Where can I get a list of the courses that are offered?

A: Click here to get a list of courses that are being offered

Q: Why are courses not showing up on my class schedule? 

A:  Check to see if you have courses that are in your shopping cart that have not been submitted for enrollment.  Courses that are in your shopping cart mean that you are not registered for those courses.  You must submit your enrollment request by proceeding to step 2 of 3 after your valid enrollment appointment time.

Q: How do I ensure that I am registered for the correct campus location?

A:  Review the location for each course on your schedule to make sure you are registered for the correct location.  Venango is located in Oil City so if you are a Clarion campus student only, you will want to adjust your schedule if you have any Venango location courses.

 Please review your schedule to make sure you are registered for courses in the correct location.  To check your future semester schedule,

* Login to MyClarion
* Select Student Center
* Select Enroll
* Select My Class Schedule
* Select the Term
* The classroom location is shown on the schedule.  To view the location and other details about the course, select the Section link.  (Note: Venango Campus classroom buildings are Frame, Montgomery or Rhoades)

Q: I tried to register for several web based classes and received a message that the class is either closed or "closed by restriction." What does this mean?

A: Several of the web based classes are reserved for students enrolled in a particular program at Clarion University. For example if web classes has a section number of WO, WU, 5W, etc.,  they are reserved for either nursing or high school students. Section numbers such as W1, W2 etc should be classes that you can register for unless they are closed. You must obtain written permissions from the department chairperson if the class is closed.

Q: I am not available to register on my assigned date and time, can I have my time changed?

A: If you cannot register on your registration date and time, you can still can register anytime thereafter while the registration period is available. 

Q: How do I audit a class at Clarion University and what is the cost?

A: Students must declare their intentions in writing to the office of the registrar prior to the end of the drop/add period to audit a class. Lab courses may not be taken as an audit. All fees and tuition are charged to the student when auditing a class.

Return to top



Q: Is there a fee for transcripts?

A: All currently enrolled, degree seeking students will be assessed a one-time $15 transcript fee which will be added to their statement of charges from the Accounts Receivable Office. Note: Quick Admit students, non-degree students, alumni and former students will not be charged the $15 fee unless they return to Clarion as a degree seeking student.

Q: Can I request my transcripts by phone or email?

A: No. Transcripts cannot be requested by phone or email. In order to protect students' privacy rights, we must receive a signed, written request before releasing transcripts.

Q: How can I submit my request for transcripts?

A: Students on campus and former students in the Clarion area may complete a Transcript Request Form in the Office of the Registrar, 122 Carrier Administration. If you are not in the Clarion area, you can mail your Transcript Request Form to the Office of the Registrar, 840 Wood Street, Clarion, PA 16214. You may also fax your request to the Office of the Registrar at 814-393-2039.

Q: What information do I need to include on my request?

A: Please be sure the include all of the following information:

  • full name (the name under which you attended (and any name changes since))

  • Clarion ID/social security number

  • dates of attendance or graduation

  • daytime telephone number

  • current address

  • complete mailing address where transcript should be sent (specify department or person to whom transcript should be addressed)

  • your signature (transcripts CANNOT be processed without signature)

  • Please note that transcripts CANNOT BE FAXED. If the transcript is being sent directly to you to forward to a third party, please indicate if you would like it sent in a sealed envelope

Q: How long does it take to process my request?

A: Transcripts requested in person can be given to you within a few minutes. If requesting transcripts to be sent, please allow 2-3 business days for processing. You should also allow appropriate mail time depending on the location where transcripts are being sent.

Q: I need a transcript today, is there a way to get an unofficial transcript?

A: You can obtain an unofficial transcript through the web. If you are currently enrolled at Clarion, you can obtain an unofficial transcript via MyClarion Student Center.


Return to top



Q: Who should I contact if I will be out of class due to illness, death of a family member or military deployment?

A: Contact the Office of the Registrar in the event of an unexpected absence such as a serious illness, death of a family member or Military deployment. We will provide information to the instructor as a courtesy. This does not constitute a valid excuse for the student’s absence from class. A valid excuse will be granted following receipt of a medical excuse from the student’s physician or copy of the military orders from the student’s military command.

Faculty members determine the absence policies for their own classes, except that participation in university sanctioned activities or active military service will be excused and the student will be given reasonable assistance when class work is missed. It is understood that absence does not excuse the student from course work and the responsibility to complete assignments on time.

Return to top


 Academic Advisement Report (MyClarion Degree Audit)

Q: Where is the Academic Advisement Report (MyClarion Degree Audit) located?

A: FACULTY: The Academic Advisement Report is found in the Faculty Center. Once logged in: Click Advisor Center tab, then the My Advisees link, and find the student. Next, click View Student Details, this will take you to a clone of that student's student center. On the Student Center, under the Academics section, you can view a student's degree audit by selecting Academic Requirements in the other academic drop-down menu. Click on the "Go" button.

A: STUDENTS: The Academic Advisement Report is found in the Student Center. Once logged in: Under the Academics section, click on the My Academics link and then click on the View My Advisement Report link.

Q: Where are Academic Advisement Training Guides located? 

A:  For Faculty, Staff and Students, training guides can be found via the web at

Q:  How do I print a degree audit? 

A:  The Academic Advisement Report is an interactive report that is not meant to be printed.  If you wish to print the document directions can be found at

Q: How do I know if a requirement has been satisfied? 

A:  By default, the audit will collapse all requirements that are satisfied and expand requirements that are unsatisfied.  Satisfied requirements will only list the requirement and not show any detail.  If you expand the requirement by clicking on the green arrow , it will show you what is under that requirement.    

Q: How do I know if a requirement has NOT been satisfied? 

A: By default, the audit will collapse all requirements that are satisfied and expand requirements that are unsatisfied.  Unsatisfied requirements will say "Not Satisfied" and the details about what is needed to fulfill the requirement.

Q: Why can I not see some of the courses a student has previously taken or are taking currently?

A:  You will need to expand the requirement (by clicking on the green arrow) to see what courses satisfy that requirement.  You can also click the expand all button at the top of the audit, which will expand the course details for all sections. 

Q:  Why has a submitted and approved Course Substitution Form not yet been processed by the Registrar's Office?

A:  With the transition from the old Student Information System to the new MyClarion system, course substitutions are still being manually processed in PeopleSoft.  We are also getting several new ones each day.  Please be patient while we complete this process.  Our priority will be completing the course substitutions for students who expect to graduate in spring or summer and then will continue to review and process the rest of the students.

Q:  Where can I find course substitutions that have been processed in the new system?

A:  On the Academic Advisement Report, there will be an additional column in the course listing titled 'Notes' and it will list a hyperlinked number.  If you click on that number it will give you a description of the substitution.  

Q:  What if a course that was taken is not being used to fulfill a requirement?

A:  There may be several reasons why a particular course is not being used to fulfill a requirement:
1. Grades - Some departments may require a "C" or higher for that requirement.
2. Catalog - Courses that can be used to fulfill a requirement are subject to what requirement term (catalog year) a student is on.
3. Course Substitutions -Course substitutions must be approved by the advisor, the chair, and the dean.  Substitutions that were processed in the old degree audit system are being reviewed and processed manually.  It will take some time to get all of these processed in the new system.  Please be patient while we work through processing them in the new system. 

Q: How do I find a student's requirement term (catalog year) in MyClarion?


*  Log into MyClarion and Select Faculty Center
*  Select the Advisor Center Tab
*  Select a student from your advisee list click on View Student Details Link or View Data For Other Students
*  Select the Academics Tab
*  The Requirement Term for the student's plan (major) is located in the Institution/Career/Program section and is viewable on the right side of the screen.  For example, Requirement Term: 2098 is 2009 Fall.


*  Log into MyClarion and select Student Center
Select the Academics Tab
*  The Requirement Term for the student's plan (major) is located in the Institution/Career/Program section and is viewable on the right side of the screen.  For example, Requirement Term: 2098 is 2009 Fall.

Return to top


Have suggestions on improving our web page? Email us.

Registrar's Office, 122 Carrier Hall, Clarion, PA  16214
814-393-2229 (Phone)  814-393-2039 (Fax)