Student Response Systems (Clickers)
A student response system, also commonly called a "clicker," is a wireless device used to answer questions the instructor poses during a classroom session. TurningPoint, from Turning Technologies, is the university-supported classroom response standard and may be used with a TurningPoint QT or LCD hand-held clicker device or the TurnignPoint Mobile app.
TurningPoint leverages secure, centralized cloud-based management of registration, courses, rosters and assessment data and is integrated with the Brightspace/D2L Learning Environment. It functions via PowerPoint polling or polling over any application.
Click Faculty or Student (scroll down) tab below for details:
Getting Started Checklist
If you decide to use clickers in your classroom teaching, please contact the LTC so we can assure that the TurningCloud software and receivers are installed and tested in the room you will be teaching in.
1. Specify which clicker option you will use for class -
- Handheld Clickers - Order the QT clickers along with your other required course materials at the Clarion University bookstore. (Contact)
- Mobile Device - Use ResponseWare* App for mobile devices and wi-fi connected laptops
NOTE: Both the clicker device and ResponseWare app options require user registration and a license. New clickers come bundled with a license; or a license may be purchased separately through the Turning Technologies store. ResponseWare requires an app download (free) and license.
- 1-Term Turning Account license - $17.99
- 1-year Turning Account license - $24.99
- 2-year Turning Account license - $35.99
- 3-year Turning Account license - $41.99
- 5-year Turning Account license - $48.99
- QT w/5-year license - $73.98 at CU Bookstore and the Turning Technologies Store
- Response Card and license - cost and availability tbd
* Most economical for students.
2. Request your FREE instructor kit.
4. Contact the Help Desk - Contact the Help Desk at x2640 with your CSID# to have TurningPoint Cloud installed on your university computer.
5. Contact the LTC - Contact the Learning Technology Center at x1848 with the classroom where you will be using clickers to have TurningCloud installed on the classroom teaching station. Stop in or call to schedule training on using the software and D2L integration.
6. Download software - You may also want to install TurningCloud on your personal computer. Downloads for Mac and Windows PCs are available within your Turning Cloud account and through the Turning Technologies website.
7. Provide student instructions - Update syllabus to include clicker information that pertains to your course, such as:
- Required/permitted course materials: specify clicker or mobile device options (See 1. above)
- *** IMPORTANT - A Turning Account license is mandatory for each participant to associate response data to each student. If a participant does not purchase a Turning Account license, data will not be collected and, if awarding points, scores will not be exported to D2L***
- Where to purchase a clicker, ResponseWare and license: CU bookstore or via Turning Technologies store after account set-up. ResponseWare
App must be downloaded from user mobile App stores.
- How to register a clicker/device via D2L: Faculty should create a link in a D2L module or add the clicker registration widget on your Course Home page ( please contact the LTC at x1848 with your course information
to have the Turning Technologies link enabled for the semester. ) (Student PDF)
- Clicker Expectations/Policies in the classroom
- Describe how often clickers will be used in class
- Define responsibility for device registration, battery life, getting assistance and bringing device to class. If you will be making any exceptions, note them here.
8. Running a session in class:
- Launch TP Cloud from the classroom PC and sign in
- Click on the Manage tab to create your participant list from D2L (Instructions)
- Click on the Polling tab > click your participant list in the Particpant panel > choose Polling type
Your instructor may have indicated that clickers will be used in the classroom. The university standard is Turning Technologies handheld device ( QT or ResponseCard LCD models only ) and/or TurningPoint Mobile app for mobile devices. Make sure you purchase the option selected by your instructor! Clicker devices and apps are not compatible or inter-changeable.
- Purchase your clicker device or the license only. The QT device is available at the Clarion University Bookstore and on the Turning Technologies website. (you must create an account to purchase devices and licenses at the Turning Tech
- Make sure you check with your instructor before creating your account! Some courses integrate the clicker registration with D2L .
- Licenses are required for all clickers and mobile devices and are available bundled with the device at the Clarion University Bookstore or on the Turning Technologies store (accessible via your Turning account)
- Register your device and/or license through your D2L course site.
- If you have purchased t the subscription/license, download the mobile app from here using the Turning Technologies Website. (link to AppStore or GooglePlay)
- QT clicker with 5-year license bundle: 73.98 (new) Clarion Bookstore and Turning Technologies Website
- 1-Term Turning Account license only: $17.99
- 1-year Turning Account license only: $24.99
- 2-year Turning Account license only: $35.99
- 3-year Turning Account license only: $41.99
- 5-year Turning Account license only: $48.99
- Use the mobile app - requires only a subscription/license code (check with your instructor or course syllabus for recommendations and to make sure mobile devices and app are permitted in class )
- The license and clickers can be used in multiple classes simultaneously and for more than one semester*(*license terms vary).
- Access/create your Turning Account via your D2L course using the Clicker Registration link or widget as directed by your instructor.
- Click create account - complete information as directed. You MUST use your Clarion Eagle mail account.
- Enter device ID and/or license code as directed.
For more directions, click the following link. PDF
- Turning on the clicker – It is always on! Just press a button to "wake" it up!
- Batteries – 2 AAA
- Not Getting Points? - Make sure your device ID is registered
- Not Getting Points?- Make sure your Turning Account License is validated
- Not Getting Points? - Make sure your clicker has fresh batteries
- Not Getting Points? Make sure you registered and set up your account using the widget on your class D2L page