COMMISSION ON DISABILITIES
The mission of the Presidential Commission on Disabilities is to increase awareness of disability issues, to identify areas of concern and possible solutions, and to serve as an advocate for the disability community in order that all persons, regardless of disability, have the opportunity to participate in and benefit from the university programs, services, and activities. Membership is open to all interested faculty, staff, and students.
If you have a safety referral or accessibility/disability concern, please make the university aware by filling out the Safety Referral Form.
Co-Chairs: Erin Lewis, ext. 2323 and Lynne Fleisher, ext. 2778
Secretary: Mel Lahr, ext. 2349
Treasurer: John Massa, ext. 2009
- March 20 — World Down Syndrome Awareness Day
- March 31— Autism awareness speaker and panel discussion with Chase Wise, 6-7:30 p.m. SOMN Theatre. Open to the public.
Crosswalk Safety Awareness Day
Held each semester, Crosswalk Safety Awareness Day is sponsored by the Presidential Commission on Disabilities, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and the Clarion Borough Police Department. Information will be handed out on Main Street Clarion to pedestrians and drivers regarding crosswalk safety. It is important to stay informed and some helpful tips are listed below for pedestrians and drivers:
- Always cross at marked crosswalks. You forfeit your rights as a pedestrian if you cross elsewhere.
- Obey any pedestrian signals and look left-right-left to make sure the road is clear in both directions before crossing.
- If a vehicle approaches, make eye contact with the driver to be sure she/he sees you before you cross.
- Do not text and walk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and at intersections.
- Be prepared to stop at all marked crosswalks. Stay alert and reduce speed in areas with crosswalks.
- Be alert for bicyclists and skateboarders whose approaches to the crosswalk may be much swifter than those of pedestrians.
- Come to a complete stop if pedestrians are crossing or preparing to cross.
- Do not text and drive.