Student Orientation, Acclimation and Retention
What is SOAR?
SOAR is a program that focuses on Student Orientation, Acclimation and Retention. Clarion's program is based on best practices in first year and transfer student experiences, university-wide discussions, continuous program assessment, and involves the efforts of the entire university community. Presentations and other components of the program continuously evolve as a dedicated group of faculty, staff and students gather and analyze data and transform the results into concrete programs that help all of our new students to be successful.
Goals for SOAR
Our goal is to help students stay in college and develop permanent ties to Clarion University through programming and activities that:
- Cement students' and families' commitment to Clarion University.
- Forge positive and active relationships between students, and among students, faculty and staff.
- Ensure that students are informed self-advocates who accept personal responsibility for their education.
- Engage students in campus co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
The SOAR program is guided by the following three principles which are valued as critical components of a successful college student experience:
- Students must accept an active role in their education.
- Students must develop relationships with each other, faculty, and staff.
- Students must be engaged in Clarion University.
Shawn M. Hoke
Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs
1 814 393 2714
1 814 393 1766
ORIentation Sign up
January 19 - 20, 2018
- Assists the needs of all incoming Students whether first time in college, transfer, commuter or returning adult
- Conducts Orientation programs for all incoming students throughout the year
- Helps students Acclimate to Clarion through New Student Orientation Week and mentoring programs
- Fosters Retention by networking support services and with programs such as Beacon