Administrative Policies Regarding Fraternities & Sororities Eligibility
The university expects the operation and activities of general fraternities and sororities to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, as well as all university, governing council and inter/national organization policy.
1. Perspective new members must have earned a minimum of 12 credit hours, have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.4 or meet the organization’s specified minimum standard to join, whichever is higher, and be in good academic standing before they can be offered an invitation to join. Students transferring to Clarion University will be declared eligible provided that they had cumulative grade point average of at least 2.4 at their previous institution and are transferring at least 12 credit hours.
2. The Center for Leadership and Involvement (CLI) will process Eligibility Verification Forms on a continuous basis and distribute an eligibility list on a regular basis, to be determined at the beginning of each semester.
3. No potential new member may be offered an invitation to join or extended a bid until his/her eligibility has been confirmed by the CLI.
4. Once a bid has been accepted, a signed individual bid acceptance form must be turned into the CLI within 48 hours after it has been signed.
5. While this policy prohibits general fraternities and sororities from offering invitations of membership to students without a Clarion University grade point average and transfer student with less than 12 credit hours, fraternities and sororities are permitted to have contact with such students for the purposes of generating future interest in Greek life. Fraternities and sororities are permitted to invite said students to chapter functions, provided that these functions are held on campus.