Community Service Work-Study Program
Clarion University's Federal Work Study - Community Service Program (FWS-CS) is administered
through the office of Student Financial Services and the Center for Leadership and
Involvement. Most student positions are with community organizations that are designed
to improve the quality of life for community residents or to solve problems related
to their needs. Community positions are off-campus and at sites that focus on health
care, child care, literacy training, education and tutorial services, welfare, social
services, public safety, recreation, rural development or community improvement. On
campus positions mentor or tutor peers and provide career experience for the student
in the position.
The FWS-CS program is not the same as on-campus student employment in auxiliary services (dining hall, residence halls, recreation center) or university offices.
These positions are designed to provide students with work-learning experience related
to their career goals. Students who meet FWS-CS eligibility criteria are provided
Information for Students Seeking Employment in the FWS-CS program
Interested students can determine their eligibility for this employment program by reviewing the following information:
FWS-CS Selection Process
- The Center for Leadership and Involvement coordinates the application and hiring process for this employment program.
- The office of Student Financial Services verifies the eligibility of students prior to application.
- Eligible students obtain applications at the Center for Leadership and Involvement.
- The Center for Leadership and Involvement forwards the applications to the agencies. Do not contact the agencies directly.
- Agencies screen applications and develop a pool of candidates to be contacted for a personal or telephone interview.
- The Center for Leadership and Involvement contacts the candidate to offer employment.
- Selected students are required to complete an on-campus orientation and hiring paperwork prior to starting employment.
Criteria for FWS-CS employment
The office of Student Financial Services verifies student eligibility for this program.
Eligibility is based on:
- Completion of a FASFA or a FASFA Renewal Form (contact the Financial Aid office for information)
- Pennsylvania residency and U.S. citizenship
- Completion 24 new credits by the end of the previous academic year (freshmen/transfer students are exempt from this requirement)
In addition, students who are selected for this position must adhere to the following:
- A college GPA/QPA of 2.25+ (first semester freshmen and transfer students are exempt from this requirement)
- Be willing to work between 5 - 10 hours weekly
- Provide proof of ACT 34 and/or ACT 151 Clearances, if required by the agency
- Attend an orientation session prior to beginning on-site employment
- Agree to the Student Employee Expectations
FWSCS List of Organizations & their Positions
Student Assistant Expectations
Information for Students Newly Hired or Rehired in the Community Service Off-campus Federal Work-Study Program
The following resources are for students who have been offered a CSWP position by the Center for Leadership and Involvement:
- Community Service Work-Study Handbook for Agencies and Students
- Cover Page/Table of Contents
- Academic Calendar
- Community Service Work-Study Guidelines and Community Service Overview
- Student Assistant Expectations
- Site Expectations
- Standards of Conduct and Dismissal Policy
- Pay Date Schedule (.pdf)
- Student Employment Verification Form (sample time sheet)
- Site Evaluation of Student Assistant
- Student Assistant Evaluation of Site
- Worker's Compensation Program
- Work Related Injury Report Form for Student Assistants
- Work Related Injury Report Form for Supervisors
- On-site Orientation Checklist