Chiropractic medicine focuses on the relationship between the body’s main structures – the skeleton, the muscles and the nerves – and the patient’s health. Chiropractors believe that health can be improved and preserved by making adjustments to these structures, particularly to the spinal column. They do not prescribe drugs or perform surgical procedures, although they do refer patients for these services if they are medically indicated.
Most patients seek chiropractic care for back pain, neck pain and joint problems. However, many patients choose a chiropractor as their primary care doctor, because they prefer treatment plans that do not rely on medication or surgery.
- Name: Association of Chiropractic Colleges (ACC)
- Website: http://www.chirocolleges.org/
Common Application Service
- Name: Apply directly to each individual school. There is no common application service.
- Name: Medical Admission Test (MCAT)
- Website: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/
- Name: Graduation Record Examination (GRE)
Financial Aid Programs
- Application Service: Refer to the applicant school
- MCAT: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/fap/
- GRE: http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about/fees/reductions/
Average GRE: 290
Average Job Shadow Hours: 50+
Pre-Requisite Courses for Chiropractic
- Principles of Biology w/labs 2 semesters
- General Chemistry w/labs 2 semesters
- Organic Chemistry w/labs 2 semesters
- Physics w/labs 2 semesters
- Psychology 1 semester