Refund Schedules For Specific Terms
Please contact the Student Financial Services office at (814) 393-1071 or (800) 672-7171 (opt. 4) for additional questions.
The following information pertains to the refund policy for tuition, fees, housing, and meal plans when a student drops or withdraws from a course, courses, or the entire semester.
1. Required advance deposits credited toward tuition, the technology fee, Clarion University mandatory student fees, and housing shall be non-refundable. Other amounts paid and credited toward tuition, the technology fee, and Clarion University mandatory student fees shall be refundable in full for students who withdraw prior to the first class day.
2. Students who complete a full withdrawal and students who reduce their credit load during the drop period so as to qualify for billing as part-time students will be eligible for a 100% refund of tuition, the technology fee, and Clarion University mandatory student fees for the reduction of the credit hour load. Students in university housing who withdraw from the university will be responsible for applicable contract cancellation fees. Students will need to complete a contract cancellation request, which can be found here.
3. Students who reduce their credit hour load after the end of the drop period so as to qualify for billing as part-time students shall not be eligible for a refund of the amount paid which exceeds the part-time rate. After the drop period, refunds for the tuition and Clarion University mandatory student fees shall be made only for full semester withdrawal. There will be no refund of the technology fee after the end of the drop period.
4. Students who complete a full semester withdrawal after the drop period will receive a refund for tuition and Clarion University mandatory student fees and housing based on the following schedule. There will be no refund for the technology fee after the end of the drop period. There will be no refund for tuition and Clarion University mandatory student fees after week five (25 class days in a typical semester):
Refund Period (% of Refund Duration
(Illustration of est.
enrollment period completed) Percentage weeks in a typical fall/spring semester)
0 - 8.50% 100% Through Week 1 "Drop Period"
8.51 - 12.50% 80% Through Week 2
12.51 - 19.44% 60% Through Week 3
19.45 - 26.39% 50% Through Week 4
26.40 - 33.33% 40% Through Week 5
> 33.33 0% After Week 5
5. Full-time students, who are concurrently enrolled in both the regular session and late-starting sessions or classes, will be treated as regular session students for the purposes of this policy. If the student drops a late-starting course after the drop period and prior to the beginning of the course, refunds will be issued according to the provisions of items 3 and 4 above.
6. Full refund of tuition, the technology fee, and Clarion University mandatory student fees shall be granted to students of State System universities who are military reservists or members of the National Guard and are ordered to active military service by the President of the United States or the Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
7. Refunds for meals will be based on usage and determined by the Residence Life Office. All meal refund decisions made by the Residence Life Office are final.
8. Refunds for Medical Withdrawals – The Provost or designee has the authority to issue up to a full refund for tuition and Clarion University mandatory student fees for medical reasons. A student must request a refund for medical reasons by contacting the Student Financial Services Office and providing a medical excuse signed by a medical doctor stating that the student cannot complete the semester due to medical reasons. The amount of the refund will be determined at the time of the request. Housing and Dining will be prorated based upon the original University refund schedule. Medical withdrawal refunds will not be granted for requests that are received by the Student Financial Services Office more than 90 days after the end of the semester for which the medical withdrawal is being requested.
Please note: Students receiving financial assistance from Clarion University are subject to the same refund policies as those who are not aid recipients.
Please note: Students, who are considering withdrawing or reducing their credit hour load, should contact the Student Financial Services Office first to determine the impact on their financial aid awards.