PennWest Clarion STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS
Mission: PennWest Clarion provides transformative, lifelong learning opportunities through innovative, nationally recognized programs delivered in inclusive, student-centered environments.
Vision: PennWest Clarion will be a leader in high-impact educational practices that benefit students, employers and community partners.
Core Values: Students, faculty, staff and alumni of PennWest Clarion value learning, accomplishment, encouragement, diversity, civility, civic engagement and public higher education.
Core Attributes of PennWest Clarion: Core attributes define the fundamental characteristics of PennWest Clarion, shared by all students, faculty and staff. Through our attributes, we tell others who we are as an institution.
- PennWest Clarion is a student-centered institution.
- PennWest Clarion is a comprehensive, high-achieving institution.
- PennWest Clarion has an interpersonal character conducive to learning.
- PennWest Clarion is an engaged institution.
- PennWest Clarion is ideally located.
Reasons to Believe in PennWest Clarion: While attributes define PennWest Clarion, our actions provide individuals and organizations with reasons to invest their time, energy and resources at the institution. These actions are the basis for students, employers, and community partners to believe in PennWest Clarion.
- Student Success - CU students succeed in college as well as in their careers beyond the classroom thanks to the marketable skills they learn at Clarion.
- Quality - CU leads the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education in program accreditations.
- Opportunities - CU provides more than 100 degree and certificate opportunities through face-to-face and online delivery methods.
- Unique Culture of Learning - CU believes in the potential of every student, and strives to help them achieve their academic and career goals.
- Economic Impact - CU accounts for an estimate annual economic impact of nearly $300 million in the surrounding region and commonwealth.
Defining PennWest Clarion as a Publicly Engaged Institution: Public engagement describes the numerous ways in which the work and expertise of PennWest Clarion's employees and students can be shared with the public with the goal of generating mutual benefit.
- PennWest Clarion strives to create mutually beneficial relationships with our community partners.
- Through our teaching we promote learning beyond our campuses.
- Through our research we promote the practical application of knowledge throughout the region.
- Through our service we benefit society.
PennWest Clarion STRATEGIC GOALS 2012-2020
PennWest Clarion will:
Encourage student, faculty and staff success.
- Encourage professional development of faculty and staff
- Build and rebuild academic programs to respond to society needs and student interest
- Encourage high-impact educational opportunities that enable graduates to demonstrate competencies
- Promote innovation through basic and applied research
- Promote a diverse student body and employee workforce
Create equitable, diverse environments.
- Adopt standards for awarding credit for prior learning
- Encourage efficient student academic progress to increase awards and minimize cost to students
- Attract, retain and graduate a diverse student body
- Provide appropriate developmental education opportunities for students to promote success
- Encourage research and scholarship that reflect an appreciation of cultural and social differences
- Encourage development of curriculum and teaching methods that support trans-cultural and global competency
- Ensure optimal stewardship of resources
- Undertake a comprehensive capital campaign
- Increase private fundraising, grants and sponsored activities
- Align university and system plans
Expand our engagement with society.
- Align knowledge and resources with community partners' needs
- Promote community service and volunteerism among students, faculty and staff
- Serve as an economic engine to the region