Clarion University Sociology Club
The Sociology Club is open to all Clarion students, regardless of major or QPA.
The objective of the Sociology Club is to provide opportunities for interested students to expand their personal horizons through informal sociological discussions and attendance/participation at professional sociological meetings. The Clarion University Sociology Club hopes to provide an environment that encourages open discussion and debate on sociological topics
The Clarion University Sociology Club organizes several events for students to participate in throughout the school year. In any given year such events might include:
- Local forums for student papers to be read and discussed by the student's peers.
- Trips to professional sociological meetings in the area.
- Programs for increased faculty-student and student-student interaction.
- Guest speakers on sociological careers and topics.
- Social events and group volunteer projects.
Alpha Kappa Delta
Alpha Kappa Delta is an honorary society for students interested in sociology. Membership in an honorary society shows that a student has achieved distinction in an area of study, and has a commitment to the professional life of that area.
Eligibility for membership in this society will be determined by the Clarion Sociology Department according to criteria that meet or exceed the following minimum requirements or their equivalent:
- Must be an officially declared sociology major, sociology/psychology major, or sociology minor.
- Must be at least a junior (third year).
- Must have accumulated the equivalent of an overall QPA of 3.0.
- Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 QPA in all sociology courses prior to initiation.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (excluding sociology courses taken pass/fail).
New members pay a one-time only initiation fee of $31. This fee includes a formal membership certificate and a one-year subscription to Social Inquiry, the official journal of Alpha Kappa Delta. To receive your journal, ask Dr. Petrissans for another form to fill out.
Undergraduate Paper Competition:
As a member of Alpha Kappa Delta, you could take part in the Alpha Kappa Delta undergraduate student paper competition. You could win up to $600, up to $600 dollars in travel expenses to the annual meeting of the American Sociology Association, strong consideration for publication in Social Inquiry, and a $1200 non-renewable scholarship for attending graduate school in a sociology program. The deadline for submission to the competition is May 1. See Dr. Petrissans for further details.
How to Join:
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in joining Alpha Kappa Delta, please pick up an application from Dr. Petrissans (315 Founders) or the faculty secretaries (313 Founders).