Behavioral Intervention Team
what is BIT?
Who should make a referral?
when do i make a referral?
what does BIT do once a referral is made?
how do i make a referral?
who can i contact with questions?
Campus Crisis Guide
Crisis Emergency Numbers
WHAT IS BIT
The Behavior Intervention Team (BIT) serves to collect information regarding concerning or violent behavior among the campus community. BIT assesses the information received and facilitates a response to the incident as appropriate.
WHO SHOULD MAKE A REFERRAL?
All members of the campus community play an important role in creating and maintaining a safe environment that supports learning and working. Members who should make a referral include:
- Parents and Family Members
- Campus Employees
- Community Members
WHEN DO I MAKE A REFERRAL?
Referrals can be made 24/7 using the online referral form. Appropriate referrals may include but are not limited to any of the following:
- Direct or indirect threat made or present
- Aggressive or angry outbursts
- Cutting or self harm
- Bullying or harassment
- Destructive behavior (Alcohol use, eating disturbances, threats to themselves or others)
- Frequent Abnormal Behaviors (paranoid behaviors, visual/auditory hallucinations)
- Erratic or lack of attendance
- Significant change in behavior, attitude, or performance
- Appearing tired or not interested in class
- Alcohol and Drug Issues
- Disruptive behavior
- Social withdraw
- Eating Disorders
- Disruptive or concerning behavior
- Frequently Crying
When you notice any of these behaviors, please fill out a BIT referral with as much information as you have.
WHAT DOES BIT DO ONCE A REFERRAL IS MADE?
BIT meets weekly to review referrals to determine the most appropriate response. Although responses vary, there are a few common possibilities depending on the level of risk. These possibilities include but are not limited to:
- Receiving instructions and support for the reporter having a conversation with the student
- A student conduct response
- Advocacy for student services (counseling, support meetings, tutoring, health services etc.)
- BIT team reaching out for support to the student
- Evaluation for medical and support services
- Notifying University Police
- Triage for mental health care
- Assessment for suicidality/homicidality
When these actions are completed, there is not notification to the reporter due to confidentiality of the BIT team.
HOW DO I Make a REFERral?
To refer a student to the BIT team you will need to fill out a BIT referral form.
- When filling out a BIT notification, please include the behaviors that you are noticing the person exhibit
- Include frequency (how often, how much) and intensity of behaviors on a scale from 1-10 with 10 being the worst you could imagine the behaviors
- Include duration of the behavior (How long do they last when they start, and how many days have you witnessed these behaviors?)
- It is most helpful if you include your contact in the form, however, you can remain anonymous if you choose to
WHO CAN I CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS?
Matthew G. Shaffer
Dean of Students
Clarion, PA 16214
P) +1 814 393 1982
Clarion Crisis/ Emergency Numbers