Transferring Graduate Credits

graduate transfer

TransferRing Graduate CreditS

Some graduate programs allow students to transfer credit for graduate courses taken at other regionally-accredited institutions for coursework of higher academic caliber in accepted fields of study. It is university policy that no more than 30 percent of the total credits for a degree may be transfer credits. If you wish to take Clarion credits that transfer to another program, see non-degree/transient student.

The course(s) taken must be recognized in content and quality as similar to Clarion University's approved academic credit. The credits must be capable of counting toward a graduate degree at the sponsoring institution. Students enrolled in a degree program at Clarion who wish to take a course at another institution for transfer to Clarion should obtain prior approval from his/her academic advisor, department chair, and the college deans. The student is required to furnish a complete description of the intended transfer course(s) usually through a catalog description and the syllabus of the course(s) for which he/she is requesting transfer credit. Course credit will not be transferred until the course has been evaluated and approved.

Courses transferred must be certified as graduate level on the official transcript and must have a grade of "B" or higher. Transfer credit course grades are not computed in the Clarion quality-point average and all transfer credits will be calculated in semester hours.

The following types of courses are not accepted for transfer credit: correspondence course credit, pass/fail grades, and workshop courses. The proposed transfer credit must not be more than six years old at the time of completion of the degree program at Clarion University. Courses already credited toward an earned degree may not be used for a second degree.

Graduate Transfer Form

Last Updated 3/31/20