Get Help

FALL 2022

2022 Thanksgiving Break Closing Notice

• All residence halls close at 6:00pm on Tuesday, November 22, 2022. All residents must be out of the building at this time.
• Suites on Main, Campus View, and Valley View will open at 1:00pm Sunday November 27, 2022.
• Classes resume Monday, November 28, 2022.

Residence Halls

If you find it impossible to leave the building by the time stated above, PLEASE SEE YOUR HALL Staff – (Hannah Kercher by 6:00pm on Friday, November 18, 2022 to discuss alternatives.

If you need housing for the break period or any portion of it, please see the "Break Housing" section below. Students are not allowed to remain on-campus during the break without permission from Residence Life Services.

Before Leaving for Break

Please prepare your room as outlined below before leaving campus.

1. Close and lock your windows
2. Leave your drapes/window coverings open
3. Gather and empty all trash
4. SOMN/SOMS/Campus View/Valley View residents – turn your heat/AC to 65 degrees on the heat setting
5. Unplug all electrical cords, except refrigerator and fish tank (see that a self-feeder is installed if leaving fish)
6. Turn off lights
7. Lock room door (and bedroom door if in a Suite)
8. Sign the break sheet on your door

Failure to comply with these instructions will result in documentation. You and/or your roommate will be considered in violation of the University conduct code if any residence hall/university policy violations are found in your room.

Break Housing

If you are unable to leave for the break (this includes students who are required by the university to remain on-campus) or need to return prior to the residence halls opening, you need to complete the break request form prior to Friday, November 18, 2022. NO ONE WILL BE PERMITTED TO STAY WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION! The break housing form can be found here.

Athletes/Teams – if you are required to be on campus during the break, please confirm with your coach they provided RLH the team roster.  You will not need to complete the individual request form.

Please Note: The University assumes no responsibility for personal belongings left in student rooms during break periods. You may want to consider taking your more valued items home with you over the break.

Please contact a Residence Life hall staff member if you have any questions.

Reinhard Villages

Reinhard Villages residents are allowed to stay in their apartments over Thanksgiving break without signing up to stay.  All policies and procedures are still in place over break.  Anyone violating Housing and Residence Life policies during the break will be asked to leave for the remainder of the Thanksgiving break.


If you are anticipating arriving early with a team or university group, please be sure your coach/advisor has reached out to our office.  You will NOT have to complete this form as we will be expecting you based on the information received from your coach/advisor.


We understand there may be times and extenuating circumstances where you cannot arrive on the dates planned for opening,  If you need an individual early arrival on a different date/time, please complete the the Early Arrival Request form and email it to It will be reviewed and you will be notified if you are approved or not of your request.  Please note, there may be a $50 per night fee for each day that you are requesting to come early.

QUARANTINES and isolations in all campus housing 

If you test positive for COVID-19 while you are staying with us during the year, we will ask you to go home to isolate or will review your situation and make arrangements on-campus for you. Please know that on-campus isolation housing is limited.  If you have a roommate/suitemate, you will have to go home or relocate until your quarantine/isolation period is over. We understand there may be extenuating circumstances in which we will navigate and will address each situation individually.

If you have been exposed to COVID-19 and are not vaccinated, or if you have COVID symptoms and are waiting for test results, you will need to quarantine for the amount of days determined by Health Services/athletics staff.  If you have a roommate/suitemate, you will have to go home or relocate until your quarantine/isolation period is over.

In all cases of isolation/quarantine on campus, we will provide meal delivery and will be in touch to make moving arrangements.  Be prepared to have snacks in your room in case there a delay in meal delivery especially on the day we will be notified.

 Housing exemptions

There is a freshman and sophomore residency requirement in which students are required to live in university housing their freshman and sophomore year at Pennsylvania Western University.

Students are only exempt from university housing for the reasons listed below.  If you believe you qualify for an exemption from university housing, please, submit the Request for Exemption in your housing and dining portal at  It is advised, you do not sign an off campus lease before you have received approval to be exempt from housing.  Please, contact the Residence Life and Housing office with any questions. 

  • First time in college students or transfers who are living with a parent or guardian at their permanent address within a 30 mile radius of Clarion University at 840 Wood Street, Clarion, PA 16214.  A notarized letter from a parent or guardian is required to verify commuting location. 

  • A full time transfer student with more than 48 credits from a previous institution. (credits transferred will be verified with the student record)
  • Married students (proof of marriage license is required for approval)

  • Students over the age of 21 prior to the start of the contract period (typically Fall unless admitted in Spring)

  • Parent of a dependent child (additional documentation required)

  • Taking all online courses. (schedule verification)
  • Military veterans who have been honorably discharged and can verify their status with an official DD214 form.



STAY Connected


apps 3


 Questions? Please contact

202-2023 Housing Information

optional Student property Insurance


Student mailboxes are accessible 7 days a week when Gemmell is opened 7am - 11pm.


  • Monday through Friday 12pm-5pm

Click here for information on how to send packages and address mail to students who live within campus housing.

Contact the mailroom at

Dealing with Roommate Issues

Living with roommates isn't always easy. Sharing a living space may be stressful, and conflicts may arise. Sometimes situations that work at the beginning of the year become more difficult as the year goes on; remember that college is a time when students grow and change which can certainly impact even the healthiest of roommate relationships. It is perfectly normal to have roommate conflicts.  Please click here for more information.

LEED Certified

LEED is an international green building standard. Clarion University has many LEED certified buildings across campus, including some of our residence halls, in order to become more efficient and environmentally friendly. Learn more about our LEED Certifications.

Last Updated 11/4/22